Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Week 1: Learning, Language, and Love of the Savior

We got our first long email from Elder Lewis, here he is answering letters from Mom, Michael, and Rebekah as well as his experiences from the first week of the mission, with pictures. Enjoy!


Hola Familia!
So much to tell you! First off:
Mom: I was able to buy some shoes for pretty cheap! (870 pesos) I have moleskin with my first aid kit, and I can get just about anything I need at La Tienda. (the store)  My teeth haven't given me any problems, so I think we're in the clear there. If something does happen, they have a fantastic med staff here and the CCM. I havent experienced any physical problems, really thanks to the Acidipholus and Colodial Silver. Your oils work wonders as well. I won't lie to you, this has been the hardest week of my life, and those oils really did help.
      The language is a very daunting task. We are relying very heavily on el don de lenguas! (The gift of tongues) I do get frustrated at times, but I have sufficent faith that if I work my hardest, he will help me speak to these people. Lot's of people in my District have previous High school and college experience with it, and they are definetly ahead of the curve. Elder Nielson (my companion) and I have taught five full lessons to an "investigador" to date. The spirit is very strong as we are learning to discern the needs of those we teach. 
      Tell Scotty thank you for that. It really means a lot right now. I can't say for sure that I have that same faith in myself, but I know that if I work hard, pray and study like there's no tomorrow, that he will make me into the missionary, and the man, that He needs me to be. I've had teachers and leaders that have pulled me aside and said some things and given me scriptures that I needed at that specific time. they are able to discern my needs, and it makes me feel like there is a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior. I believe, and I'm getting to know there is!
      I'm so happy for Holly! Tell her felicidades for me! I felt the spirit when I read that, and it makes me so happy:) Great are the tender mercies of our Father!
      I love you so very much, Mom, and even though I'm thousands of miles away, I can feel your prayers on my behalf. Thank you, from the bottom of my very humbled heart.
Your loyal son,
Elder J. Lewis

P.S, my p day here at the CCM is on wednesday, and I'll try to be here on the computer around Ten thirty am, Mexican time.

Bekah! 
My first days in Mexico have been hard, but very good! The people here are amazing! They are very helpful and kind, but also push you hard to do your best:) The food is pretty good! Fresh juice, lots of rice and good beans:) The only real thing I don't love is that they like lot's of spicy things for breakfast! Yuck! Animals... there are a ton of parrots! They're green, blue, red, and very loud! There are also some cool purple birds!
I Love you VERY VERY MUCH! I love talking to you:) 

Mike: There have been some funny things that've happened! We have an instructor named Hermano Villalobos, which literally means Brother Wolftown. We make lot's of Wolftown jokes, mostly because he is such a cool guy! They talk to us completely in Spanish most of the time, but I'm understanding most of it as they speak pretty slow haha! One night the water stopped to the building, and we all heard Elder Tracy yell down the hall "I'm gonna go to reception and lay town some FUEGO!" We all were crying! xD
I miss you too bud, love you!

Homesickness has been terrible, but that's to be expected, However: The Lord doesn't leave his children alone in their time of desperate need. He has shown me many tender mercies, and I am getting to know my Savior on a very personal level. 


Elder Lewis and his companion, Elder Nielson

The Tag, spanish triple combination 

Elder Lewis' district. He and Elder Nielson are currently district leaders. 

75 ft tall palm tree, and a man climbing it :p



No comments:

Post a Comment