Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Week 51: "...Them Also I Must Bring"

Hello Familia!

Just got done with the coolest P-Day. We went down to a place called Playa Blanca. It’s a lake, smaller than Bear Lake I think. But we went out and there’s a sand beach out there. Playa Blanca means White Beach. So we went out on the beach, we played soccer and stuff. I had a ball. Man, just couldn’t swim. It was kinda sad. It was cold up there anyway, so I don’t know that you would want to. But the water was super clear. But it was nice to get out of the wave of things and take a hike a bit. The sister missionaries brought up stuff to make hot dogs and we helped them out and we paid for it, and so that was pretty fun. It was a good zone activity. We went up there and played…. I will have to teach you guys some games when I get back, because we played some pretty fun games that I would like to show you guys.

So we got back really late, and so I wont be online for very long, but I saw that you guys went horseback riding…. What the heck? Haha. Wow. Crazy. But this week has been really really crazy. It was all normal up until Thursday. Thursday at 5:00 we got on a bus to go to Bogotá to do intercambios with the assistants. We got there at about 9:00 Thursday night and stayed there overnight, and we started intercambios, and what happens is the assistants always have to do a lot of errands so what happened was that we were in the offices for awhile while they went and picked up a missionary that had to go home for health reasons. So we were in the offices for about 3 hours while they went to the airport. I had a good chance to catch up with some friends, some Elders that I know that are in the offices. That was a lot of fun. To see what it is exactamente what it is they do exactly. Then after that I left with an Elder named Elder Picuasi. Picuasi is very interesting, because he has a ponytail. He is from a part of Ecuador where they are indigenous, and so he is serving a full time mission with a ponytail down to the middle of his back. That was really cool, he is a great teacher and I learned a lot from him. A funny thing that happened, he called Domino’s on Thursday night because we ordered Domino’s because they live in the really really rich part of Bogotá. It literally doesn’t even look like Colombia. But there was Domino’s, so we called them and he said “so, you’re going to put BBQ sauce on that right?” and they said “NO, for extra.” And he said “How is that extra? We always ask for it and we always get it free.” And the guy said “we cant” and he said “Hey, we are the missionaries, we keep Domino’s in business.” He was just saying that over the phone. It was super funny. Then he said “We’ll see you here in 15 minutes right?” he said 30. “Ok I will be waiting in 10.” And he was just smiling at us the whole time. Elder Picuasi. Hijo de madre. Haha. But ya, that was a lot of fun, to go there and spend some time in Bogotá. Ya the house of the assistants is super rich, or as we say here in Colombia, super poopy. Because it’s got 2 bathrooms, its got a study room and a living room with 2 nice sofas, and it’s got a freaking dryer. But also in the night on Friday, we went to take this missionary that had health problems ot the mission home where he would stay the night and go to the airport with President the next day. So Elder Picuasi and me took him to that, and President invited us 3, him and Hermana Laney, or Sister Laney, and we went in and Sister Laney had actually baked a cake. And President Laney had gone down to Crepes and Waffles, which there is also that here in this part of Bogotá, he had gone down to Crepes and Waffles and got American Ice-Cream, which is super expensive, I just about died. I was so happy.

That being said, Mom, Sister Laney told me that you messaged her, I actually got there right after you messaged her, and I was trying to think about someone I know that would be going to Colombia, but ya it’s interesting. What I would like, is ya the shoes. I am gonna wear these shoes until they get destroyed. The stitching is starting to fall out. So I would like those shoes maybe in that package. Also a bit of Peanut Butter if it doesn’t weigh too much. Dulces Americanos, American Candy, is always great. Whatever you want to send. As of right now, I am doing well on the oils. I am determined to learn to use them better because I have learned to appreciate them. Especially like helping me focus and things. There are just so many things that I do, especially this week, it was crazy.

With our investigators this week: Alverson is still progressing, so is Jefredy. We did a fast with Jefredy to help him find his testimony. He has a lot of support, I am sure he will be baptized. I am so excited guys, this week is gonna be nuts! I have to go to Bogotá again this week, and just to give you an idea, today was the zone activity in Playa Blanca, tomorrow is multi-zone conference in Duitama, which is a pueblo about 15 minutes away from here. Then we have on Wednesday we have interviews again in Duitama at 12:00. We have to travel again. Then on Thursday I have to go back to Bogotá for leadership council, it’s called Concilio. Then Friday and Saturday will be our normal days. It’s gonna be crazy, I will have a lot to tell, I am excited about leadership council because a lot of my buddies from the mission will be there.

I am very grateful this week for my Father in Heaven. I love him. I wanna share with you guys one experience: We were at the house of the Relief Society President, and her mom is devout, devout Christian Evangelica,  or Born Again Christian, like speaking in tongues and everything. We were talking to her during lunch, and just came up with the Book of Mormon and felt the Spirit. We actually gave a lesson to one of their hijas, who is going to be baptized here really soon, she is 8. That kind of set up the spiritual tone, for after that, the mom started to question about the Book of Mormon. She is actually a preacher, which is crazy. But she had questions about it.  Her daughter is the Relief Society President in our ward, her son is the Bishop. She asked about it and we actually started to talk about it, and brought up the fact that Jesus Christ appeared to people in the America’s. Which is actually something REALLY REALLY important to people down here. We shared with her the scripture in 3 Nephi 14, where Jesus Christ says You are those of who I spoke, saying that I have other sheep that are not of this fold. As she read that she started to weep, she just bawled. We couldn’t understand why. I asked her: “Why did that impact you so much?” and she said “I don’t know, I didn’t expect it.” So we are gonna come back to teach her. But I wanted to share my testimony with you guys of the Book of Mormon. I know it’s true. I know that it testifies of my Savior. I know that he came to the America’s. I know that its’ an instrument most powerful in the conversion of a person. It’s essential that we read it every day. That’s what I wanted to share with you guys this week, and I will talk to you next week. Chao Chao!


-Elder Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment