Monday, October 23, 2017

Week 58: "Well, He Sent You Guys, Didn't He?"- Serving in Nazareth

Buenas Tardes Familia!

It’s been a good week here in Sogamoso, I think, not a lot to report. One of the guys in our zone, Elder Altamirado, got his gallbladder taken out. He was in Yopal, which is a town about 5 hours away from Sogamoso. It’s out kind of isolated, and it’s in our zone. But ya, I guess he got super sick a week or two ago, and he had to get shipped over to Bogotá to receive treatment. Good thing is, our Mission President is actually an ER Doctor. So we talked to him about it while it was happening, and he said “There’s no way I’m letting him get that surgery in Yopal.” Haha So they shipped him over to Bogotá and he got the surgery that he needed this week, and the whole zone fasted for him, but it turned out well. They are now back in Yopal and he just has to take it easy for awhile. That was exciting. What else, what else, what else…..

This week on Tuesday, I got SO SICK. I felt like I wanted to die. I guess some member gave us hamburgers that were made of something called molito pollo, and it’s ground chicken, but they grind in everything. The intestines, the stomach, the everything. It was really good, I just didn’t know. Then afterwards, the next day, ugh…. I was in the bathroom for all of the night and the next day I was just gone. However, we went to our appointments that we had, and in between appointments I went home and DIED. Haha. But ya, that was pretty fun… I am feeling a lot better now, it was just kind of a 1- 1 ½ day thing. I’m grateful; it was like food poisoning I guess. I don’t know what I’m going to do next time she offers me hamburgers…. Cuz that was… whoa… but let’s see what else has happened….

This week we had a cool service project, we went and cleaned out an old abandoned house. We cleaned out the front yard. I have learned from service projects here that the machete is the tool most unused in the United States. That thing is amazing! The one I was using in this project was kinda dull, but you can clear a lot of stuff, with that one that was dull I could clear out a good thick bush in like 5 minutes.

But this week me and my companion have been focused on forgetting about ourselves. It occurred to us when we were walking one time that sometimes we as missionaries get caught up in our own things, and it’s hard when things don’t go right and you have somebody that doesn’t understand the doctrine and therefore doesn’t want to take the steps that they need to take to be baptized for the remission of their sins. That’s hard. But we found that if we forget about ourselves, that that doesn’t even matter because we are going to go find the people that have been prepared. Because there are people that have been prepared and you can tell the difference between the people that are prepared and the people… I don’t want to say that are not prepared, but they don’t want to listen. That don’t want…. They’re good with what they’ve got. I have really learned this week, we have had to leave some people, because they don’t want it. They want to be happy but they are not willing to do what is necessary to be happy. We have taught just about everything we know how to do. But we are going to go into this week, we have put a new emphasis on service as a way to find investigators, and it has really panned out for us so far. We’ve had one service project on Saturday and we have another one planned coming up here. I just want to share an experience with you guys:

So we went and cleaned out this place, they are going to tear down the house, so we went inside of the house and cleaned out all the stuff, because it’s abandoned and people have gone in there are done drugs and stuff. So we cleaned out all of that and then we took out some bushes and things, and cleaned the pasture out, then afterwards we went back to the house of the people that we were doing it for, and I started to talk with them. I started to talk with them and I asked them if by chance, they believe in Jesus Christ. I thought for a second and said: “What blessings have you had from believing in Jesus Christ?” And they said: “well, he sent you guys didn’t he?” That’s a big blessing for us. That just made me realize the power that is in serving other people. Doing simple things makes great things come to pass. Well, that’s not our area; it’s out in a little town called Nazareth, but the Sister Missionaries will be going out there to teach them soon. And this Saturday we have a baptism. Jefredy is going to be baptized. He is a reference from a recent convert. He has been a little bit slow to understand but we went and talked to him about the real reason that we get baptized and we found that he didn’t understand even after all of our lessons. We asked him “why do you think we get baptized?” and he said “to show God that we want to follow him.” Or something like that. We said “yes that’s true, but more than that, it’s to receive a remission of our sins so that we can go back to live with our God.” And we explained that to him, and after that he says: “well, I have to get baptized!” so he has already been to church so we are going to baptize him this week. It’s going to be a heavy week; we have intercambios tomorrow and Friday, we are going to Yopal on Thursday. This is my first time going to Yopal. I am pretty excited.

Well, I think that’s it for this week. I love you all and I will talk to you later. Chao Chao!


-Elder Lewis


Turns out that the machete is the tool that is most under used in the states. Fact. I´ve learned to appreciate them doing service projects here. Also, the other guy in the picture is Jesus of Nazareth. His name is Jesus Ruíz and he lives in a little town outside of Sogamoso called Nazareth.

No comments:

Post a Comment