Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Week 85: Cultivating the Heart of a Servant in El Salado

Hey!

So this week has gone really well. We started out the week with Elder Prestwich because Elder Gulla, the… how do you say it… the Filipino, went to Bucaramanga. We had transfers this last week and we were with him for the first part of the week and we enjoyed getting to know his investigators. Had a good time, I don't know what else to say about that haha. But then on, I think on Thursday, we went to the terminal to pick up his new companion who is actually DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUN! (fanfare sound) Venezuelan. He is a Venezuelan that came over here, to Colombia, he went to Cali, which is a city in… well it's pretty dang far away from here. As I understand, it is one the west side of Colombia. He passed through Cucuta on his way there, so he already knows Cucuta pretty well haha. So it was just funny. His name is Elder Mayér. And he is a good guy.

So then we got to work on our area uninterrupted for a couple of days and then one day, I think it was on Friday, or maybe Thursday, (even though I battled a migraine on Thursday and then going to the terminal doesn't help because it's so chaotic…) Cucuta's bus terminal is ridiculous. It's like that movie you've seen… I dunno. So chaotic. If you aren't careful, you're going to get run over. So that didn't help my migraine. Later that day, we were gonna go contact in an area called Panamericano. Our area is a series of like 3 hills. On the other side of one hill, if you stand on the top of the hill, you see the city of Ureña. Ureña is in Venezuela. Our area borders Venezuela, and there is a part down below called El Salado that we felt inspired to go to. It's right on the border with Venezuela. We went down and we knocked on a house, and nothing happened. We went to the next house and they said to come in. so we went in and shared a message with 6 people and we have had the determination to be more in touch with our investigators this week, more constantly, so that they can stay progressing. So we went back a couple of days later to see how they were and found that they had already been sharing it with their family and friends and coworkers. So it was really good. They are a really good family. We should have some good news with them. We are going to try to stay in contact with them every day. But as I have tried to keep in contact more with my investigators, I come to love them more. There are sometimes when you don't get around to seeing your investigators for like 3-4 days between appointments. So, you just need to hit them up with a call, or go see how they are, you just need to go be in contact with them. We have seen a lot of miracles from that. We have seen miracles from reading Preach My Gospel. But ya, we found the familia Puerto, like Puerto Rico. 

Well, today for P-Day we went to a place called Calobos (?), and we played soccer. Then, half way through we started playing American Football, because Elder Wood brought his American Football, so we enjoyed a little game of two-hand-touch. It was fun! My companion was just about dying because he hadn't played football in a transfer, but he is alright. He is functioning again haha. He had a shot of football, so we're good. Haha.

I am very happy to be here in Aeropuerto. Very grateful to see the progress of our investigators, like we had another family, her name is Rosemarie, and his name is Luis, and they are kind of older, and they don't read very well, so we downloaded the Book of Mormon on my USB drive, and dropped it by their house. They have been listening to it non-stop for the last couple of days. So we are super excited about that. I am just so happy to be here. I just hope that President leaves me here for awhile. They made me District Leader again, which is a great opportunity, I was reminded how it was being a Zone Leader last night when I was making all the phone calls, when I was filling out the call-in reports, and I am really happy to be a District Leader because I learned a lot from being a Zone leader, but now I get to apply it with a smaller group of missionaries. So I am really excited about that. We are going to see what we can do.

Let's see… what else… Frank made an amazing dish the other day. It was funny because we got there a little early so that we could see him make it, and it was like pork with mango, with pepper and onion and just a ton of salsa. It was SO GOOD. I found out that he is actually not coming to the United States this year, because the missionary that baptized him invited him to go to Barranquilla to see the new temple dedicated here in December. So he is going to go do that in place of going to the United States. But he is going to come the next year is what he says. I guess we will save him a place at the table for Thanksgiving or something like that. I just know that it is his dream to see Christmas in the United States.

Well, that's all for my report today. I am grateful for you guys, I heard that the play was a hit, so congratulations with that, I know that makes a great difference in the lives of those kids. If nothing else, to see something well done through hard work and the effort. That's something that I really appreciate about my family, is that when they do things, they don't just do them halfway. I am trying to learn how to do that myself. What else can I tell you… I'm not sure what you guys want to hear from my recordings…I don't know if I am telling you what you want to hear or whether I am missing the mark completely, so tell me. I am grateful for all of you. What I have learned this week is about the patience that Christ has with all of us, that He has had with me and not given up on me in these two years. I am starting to be a different person because of it. May we never give up on a worthy cause. Somewhere deep inside me the Lord saw someone who could be a good missionary, and He has been very patient with me and allowed me to become a better missionary; and will continue to be patient with me as long as my transformation process takes. I know that extends beyond the mission, so we have no reason to think that it stops right there.

Well family, I love you guys a lot. There wasn't much in this recording, but I love you. I love my Savior. I love this Gospel. I also love Colombia with all my heart. I am grateful for everything. Talk to you later then. Chao!

-Elder Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment