Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 25: A Little Sickness and a lot of Culture Shock.

Hola Familia! Elder Lewis here from Bucaramanga like usual.

This week has been pretty interesting. I’ve been a little sick. Me and my companion have had what I think is Strep Throat. Sure seemed to slow us down a little bit. But, with some antibiotics and a little bit of prayer, we are doing well. Man, I sound terrible! (due to being sick) But we have had a couple of good experiences this week that I want to hurry and tell you about because I don’t have a lot of time. I wish I had more time, that’s make it easier, but we have a Family Home Evening coming up here before too long.

Anyway, we reestablished contact with Familia Reyes, they have been a source of concern for us for quite some time, they have had a move, he started out his business by doing a like a portable gym, he loads everything in a backpack and takes it with him to people’s houses. It’s really cool. Really efficient actually, super cool. But they moved and now they have a physical gym in their house. So we met with them again in their new house, we helped them move a couple of weeks ago, but we met with them in their new house this week, and we had a really cool experience where we were going to ask them “hey, what’s going on? Do you guys still want to listen to the missionaries?” because they’ve been a family of gold, but its just been slow with them being busy with their business and things. So we asked them, “hey do you want to hear from the missionaries still?” and they said well ya! “Claro que si!” Well, in this moment we felt the spirit kind of settle over the room and I felt impressed to ask them what they felt when we are with them, what they feel in our lessons. It’s really interesting, they said: “well, we feel joy. We feel peace. We feel excited.” John said “I really miss it. What I wouldn’t give to have that feeling again.” I asked him what he would do to have that feeling with him all the time, and he said “anything.” And then we testified that he can. I cant’ even explain to you my feelings at this point. They kind of were in awe that they could have that feeling the whole time. We taught them about the gift of the Holy Ghost. Well, Familia Reyes, they are now on the road to being baptized again. So we are going to continue with them and hopefully the spirit can continue to work with them, which it has so far, and hopefully they will start to read the Book of Mormon more.

Other than that, it’s really been a week of trying to grow our depth here. There hasn’t been a whole lot, I’ve been kind of slacking on my journal writing so I don’t remember it quite as well. Today we played some football and soccer, and things for P-day. Nothing too spectacular. It’s crazy how fast I forget things…. The time is just flying. I don’t know where it’s going. 6 months have gone in a real hurry. It’s good to hear from you all, I’m sorry that I don’t get to message you all individually. It sure is a struggle here to get everyone written and all of that. I am very grateful for this opportunity to be here in the mission and have had some experiences that are very near and dear to my heart. Every week is not without its struggles, sometimes I wonder why these people just can’t leave their vices.

I guess here’s one thing: this week was Ash Wednesday for the Catholics. I remember looking at some pictures of Conrad’s in Guatemala and it showed all these parades with all these people dressed in hooded costumes, ya that was this week. But it will be more during Semana Santa, “Holy Week”, next month during Easter. But ya, we walked right in the middle of this parade, walking up the street and all the sudden there are all the Catholics with crosses painted upside down on their foreheads, walking through the street. They have the actual procession, and then a bunch of people following them, so there are people dressed in the hooded costumes that are black or dark blue with white gloves, and some of them are carrying this boat kind of thing with a statue of Jesus with the cross and Simon helping him.  But ya, I have never felt so out of place in my life. So that was interesting. So many people here are so Catholic. Its all just tradition. 

I just received a message from Dad saying that he was able to see the J-Dubs this week. Haha. Oh man, the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Did they come to your door? Because they saw us this week, and when they saw that we were missionaries, they didn’t share a message. My companion was like “Aren’t you going to share a message?” and they said “no, we are just going to leave this pamphlet.” We said: “will you share a message?” and they said “No. its all good.” So… ya. I actually have a lot of respect for Jehovah’s Witnesses. They are wrong, that’s for sure, but they have a lot of things that are right. Their members are really dedicated, they are required to study and proselyte, and part of me thinks that if we proselyted half as well as the Jehovah’s Witnesses that we would have double the baptisms. Ya, we have frequent run in’s with them. Really, honestly, the best thing you can do is share your testimony with them. Present the doctrine and preach with the spirit and then leave it up to the good Lord. Then they are going to soften their hearts and realize Jehovah of the Old Testament is Jesus Christ of the New. So, ya. Yay for talking to the J-Dubs. I don’t know what they are like in Utah, but here they are pretty cool. They aren’t super pushy. One time Elder Zuniga and I were in this house and they have a pamphlet from the J-Dubs and Elder Zuniga took it and very slyly put it in his backpack and when we got back to the apartment, he burned it. It was funny.

Well, I have said a whole lot of nothing, but my thoughts are there and I sure have had a slice of humble pie here in the last couple weeks. It’s been a little rough. But that’s to be expected here in the mish. I’m trying to just make this tiem the best, and I hope that you guys are doing the same. I hope that you guys are reading the Book of Mormon still, I have fallen considerably behind you guys because I have been doing some reading assignments from President, and some other things, so I hope that you guys are still doing that because if we read the Book of Mormon, Satan can’t have power over us. I know that to be true. I sure love you all. I miss you all. I have been trying to do better at keeping my thoughts on this continent, so it is sure nice to sit down and think about you all for a minute. Well, I love you all, and I will talk to you next week. Chao!

-Elder Lewis



No comments:

Post a Comment