Monday, July 24, 2017

Week 45: Finding New York in Colombia... plus Mariachi's!

Muy Buenos Tardes familia!

Well, this week we have had some interesting developments. We had a reference… what’s it called… I think it’s called a referral from Mormon.org a little while ago and we went and contacted her, she was looking for how to get to know Jesus Christ I think is what she told us. Then she found Mormon.org, and she asked for a Book of Mormon and for the missionaries. Then we showed up and from that point we have gotten to know the family pretty well, we have actually gotten to be really good friends with them, and well… right now we are teaching them. Joanna is the name of the daughter that looked up Mormon.org and she told us that she was reading the Book of Mormon, she got down on her knees to pray about it and she felt this unexplainable feeling of peace and tranquility. It kind of set her back, and stayed with her throughout the rest of the morning, while she was doing things throughout the house. When she told us that, at that moment, I was SO HAPPY! I was trying not to like, I don’t know, get up and do a backflip. It was so cool! We asked her: “well, do you think that could be an answer from God?” and she said: “I think so. I think so.” That was an interesting experience, they came with us to a baptismal service on Wednesday that I actually got to...well Elder Johnston played the violin and me and Elder Kelly and my companion and Elder Lopez, we sang “We’ll Bring the World His Truth” in Spanish, which turned out pretty well. The Spirit is always strong in those meetings.

News coming up: we have a Noche Blanca, a “White Night” on the 5th of August. So we are looking pretty good for that. There are going to be 8-10 people baptized that night. We are really excited about that. That will be such a cool experience. We are hoping to bring ALL of our investigators to that. We will be baptizing, that night, Elvira Blanco, who has been super juicioso ugh… juiciosa…. Frickin Español. She has been really really awesome. She’s ready. We just have to fill up the font. But she said that she wanted to wait for the “white night” so we are gonna do that. Should be pretty good. This area has really been hard. It’s hard but it shouldn’t be that hard. I feel like we should have seen more success. but we have had a lot of good investigators coming out of the woodwork, and if I had my heart’s desire, I think I would stay another cambio just because of the people not because this area is pretty vanilla, not a very attractive area. It’s the people that make it worth it. I really think I have made some lifelong friends here.

In other news, Alan, our New Yorker friend, is going to be baptized on the 26th. We were playing futból, we were playing soccer, outside the church one day and he walked up and said: “hey! Are you guys gringos?” and we walked over, and come to find out he was a “New Yoy-kah”. (You have to excuse my horrible New York accent.) But ya, he was kinda rough around the edges, but they taught him and I have seen him to come to all these church events at the Stake Center. All the events at the Stake Center, he has been to them. The baptisms, we spend a lot of p-days with him, he’s kind of a big guy from New York, He speaks fluent Spanish, he speaks Spanish really really really well. He is living here in Colombia for awhile because of his girlfriend. He is going to be baptized the 26th, and he is super excited about it. They kinda pulled a “Best Two Years” and came 3,000 miles to teach someone in Spanish and then they find a New Yorker here. It’s super funny talking to him. He’s all about the Mets, all about the Coney Island Hot-dogs, He’s all about that. He’s all New Yorker. Super funny. When he gets really excited when we are playing soccer, his mouth gets kinda sour, but he’s really awesome. He has become a really great friend to us.

I think those have been the experiences for this week. We went rock climbing today, again. It was really fun. OH! Elder Blair, they had a birthday party for Elder (?) and the rule is that they can only have 2 districts in the same place at the same time, so our district didn’t get to go. But the other 2 went to the birthday party, and Elder Blair and his companion hired a Mariachi Band for his birthday haha. It was sweet. The mariachi bands here are really really good. It’s worth it for the trumpet, Mike.

Well guys, I am sorry that this is been uninformative, but Bogota is still cold, hoping to get moved out to a hot land here in a bit. I think they are going to send me to Cúcuta. I am not sure though. They could send me to Barrancabermeja. But.. that’s all for this week I think. I love you all. Thank you so much, and I will talk to you all next week. Chao Chao!


-Elder Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment