Monday, December 11, 2017

Week 65: Voicemail and Viracocha

Hey Family!

So I am here walking to internet right now, I just wanted to make this a little bit earlier so that I can focus on talking with you more. This week was fun, more of the same kind of thing. Let see, what happened this week…

Something funny that happened was this morning, I don’t know how you say it in English, but for the voice mailbox system, but in Spanish, when you call somebody and they don’t pick up, it says voz de mensaje, …?.... parte de este momento. And so when the sister missionaries called me this morning, that’s the voice mailbox message. So when the sister missionaries called me it was super funny because they called me and I just said that: voz de mensaje….?... parte de este momento. And they hung up. Haha. They bought it. Then they called again and I did it again. And they fell for it the second time. And we are just rolling. I tried to do it again a third time, but they were laughing so hard in the background that they didn’t buy it this time. So that was funny. Messing with the Sister Missionaries.

Well, we are here with my boy, Elder Coop. He just made us Rice Krispy treats, and that’s pretty poderoso he is with us because his companion, Elder Crestle, like we say in the mission he “died”. Or he went to his house. He left yesterday for Bogotá, so he is with us for the next week until transfers. So we will be partying it up. SACHI PAPA! Sachi Papa is fast food here in Colombia. It is basically like hot dogs, like sausage and fries, cheese, and sauces. It’s really good, but it’s a heart attack. Yep. So that’s sachi Papa. That’s what we ate for Thanksgiving, and it’s really hard on your stomach sometimes just because it’s so greasy.

Alright, so the rest of the week we were working hard. We had kind of a free week this week so we got some work done. Trying to think of anything that we had… no I think this week was pretty much all free. Well, this week, familia Cano that we have been teaching is going to be baptized in a couple of weeks. It’s pretty much all set in stone. They’ve gotten their answer and we gave them the Law of Tithing last night and they accepted it flying colors. It always just brings my mind back to the example of my Dad that when I saw the shop was going through a really hard time, my Dad always told me “well Son, I don’t know how we’re gonna do it, but I know I paid my tithing and I know the Lord is gonna take care of us.” And I get emotional every time that I tell that to people. That example just because I know my Dad is such a great example for me. Thank you for that, Dad. I love you.

This week we actually had multi-zone conference which was really good. We talked a lot about finding people to teach. We set a new goal of having 25 contacts every day or so, for example we are going to talk to 25 people in the streets every day in-between appointments and everything. It’s really been going well for us. We have met some great people just by being able to open up our mouths and talk to them. Illumina el mundo, or Light the World has really been helping us out with that. We are giving out cards of that and again, if you guys haven’t checked it out, you should because it’s really good. Me and my companion gave a short training about that in Multi-Zone conference about how to use it. It’s always good to meet with President and receive instructions from him. I have really gained a deep respect for him, for the man that he is. Sister Laney was sick this week, and so on Friday we had multi-zone and on Saturday we went to Duitama again for interviews with President. We had our interviews, which were good as always, and then we also had Stake Conference this week. Which our Stake Presidency was being released and they were putting in a new one and there were two Seventies there. President Laney, he talked to the Seventies, the General Authorities, and they were actually there while we were doing our interviews. I got to meet one of them. But President asked permission to go to the mission home and care for Sister Laney. I thought that was just so cool. He has given such a good example to us of how to be a good missionary, but also after a good husband. He actually gives us advice about that all the time haha. So it’s been really good to watch the things that he does. You talk with the man and you look in his eyes and you know he is a disciple of Jesus Christ. It’s just fantastic.

This week for P-day we went to the Museum of the Sun again, and it was really fun because I looked a little bit more into the legend of Polchico, which is the legend of a white man who came to the Chibcha’s and he taught them how to live productive lives, live better lives than they were living, and he cast out, well the legend is that he cast out a woman that was teaching false doctrines. We know that that refers to the destruction of all the evil that was there in the land. It was cool because it also said, it also referred to various other countries or civilizations that also had the same legend. Among them was in Mexico, was Quetzalcoatl, which Grandpa told me about that before my mission. And Viracocha in Peru. All the same legend. All in the different countries, here in Colombia with the Chibcha’s, in Mexico and Central America with the Mayans and Aztecs. in Peru with the Incas. It was really cool. Elder Coop was joking around and he put a copy of the Book of Mormon open to 3 Nephi 11 up on the stand and said “this gives the complete story…” it was funny. So that’s what happened this week.

I am enjoying it here in Colombia. I am enjoying it here in Sogamoso. We have transfers coming up and there is a possibility that I am gonna leave but I don’t think so. I don’t want to, I want to stay here for a little longer. The members are so good here. I really love it here and it will be hard to leave. The weather here has been crazy lately. So what it’ll do, like right now, it’s HOT. Like this sun, it’s not hot and humid like it is in Bucaramanga or Yopal, but the sun BITES. Elder Coop gets burned every day.

ELDER COOP: Ya. It hurts.

Ya. That happened. Well, that’s the weather here. Yesterday we got soaked to the skin after it was so sunny and then in the afternoon from one hour to another it just downpoured and we got to the house and we were cold and wet. It was crazy. But I am still enjoying it here. I think that’s all I have got for you guys this week. I had an experience that strengthened my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ:

We went to teach a family that has a son that has a disability with speech. He looks like he has got a disability with mobility as well, but really it’s just speech. He thinks clearly and everything and he is going to be baptized here in a week. Him and his brother. But his older brother, who is a member of about 8 months, informed us that he had gone out and drunken a beer. Now they are orphans. It’s a house with 4 boys, there’s Jesus, he’s the oldest, there’s Jason, there’s Brian, y Juan Pablo in that order. Jason had gone out and taken a drink of beer and I guess he showed up just a little bit tipsy. And really Jesus gave him a good chastising right there in the moment. Jason felt SO BAD. I told him “Jason, that makes us sad that you went and did that.” He just was so sad and so heartbroken about what he had done. And he was like “I don’t want to listen, hermanos. I am just all sin. I am all mistakes.” He was just feeling sad about himself. But we taught about lesson 3 which is about the gospel of Jesus Christ and about repentance and baptism. It was such a good opportunity to testify with all of my heart that Jesus Christ can erase all of our errors and make us better people if we let him. I just know it’s true. I just saw the light come into his eyes as we taught and bore testimony about it. We just saw the light come back into his eyes and he was Jason again because he just had this hope. It was something small, but he felt it so deeply. I wish we were all that way.

Well family, have a good week. Bye-Bye.


-Elder Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment