Monday, May 1, 2017

Week 33: A hard week and dental medicine in Colombia

Hola Familia!

This week has been, hands down, the hardest in my mission. There’s just been so many things that have gone wrong. From baptismal dates falling through to my companion, I really appreciate all of the prayers for me. Y….(I’m sorry I’m trying to think in English I swear…) This week we found some good people. We found 5 new investigators,  well we found more than that but 5 especially that were really good, that I think should be baptized here in June. They are named familia Lopez-Medina and they are super good. They are a reference from Hermano Arenguli, our ward mission leader, and we got there and they were kinda skeptical about it but as we were persistent this week in returning and assigning them reading and checking up on it, it really touched them and now the last time that we visited they wanted a picture with us, they did their reading, I think they are going to be really good. The problem is Sabbath Day, they work on Sundays like everybody. That was really good, we are still progressing with quite a few investigators here, It has been super hard joining two areas. Joining two areas is always hard because always a couple of investigators get lost in the transition and just because our area takes an hour and a half to get from one end to the other. So we are just kinda running around trying to hit as many appointments as we can in a day, also, trying to get in our contacting and stuff like that. We are really…. It’s been a hard week… I’m so tired… but this week should be better and we are better organized this week, so… ya Vamos!
           
What’s new this week… We got 30,000 Colombian Pesos for our allotment, so that’s good. It’s about $10.00 more. In Colombian money, that’s quite a bit more. So we are all happy about that. With my Spanish, it’s really hitting a good point. I was on the phone with Hermano Garcia the other day, and he told me “Elder Lewis, Elder Lewis, you’ve gotta slow down. You are speaking too fast!” I dunno, I thought that was pretty cool. It’s really just hit the point where I don’t think about it, I just speak.
           
Well, I was thinking, and Jessica, I totally missed your birthday! I am so sorry! Maybe I wished you happy birthday, I’m not sure. But, Happy Birthday like 10 days late. Rebekah, my little sister, I haven’t heard much from you, but happy birthday this week. I sure love you. You’re turning 9, you’re a lady by now. Happy birthday. I was just reading your emails, and reading about Angela getting her wisdom teeth out, and I have a funny story to tell, so…. One time when I was in Bucaramanga, me and Elder Zuniga, my trainer, went to a dentist because he had something that was really bothering him and they gave him a root canal. He thought that that would fix it, but he had to return. When he returned, and it was just a little thing on the corner, it looked like it was, I don’t know it was different in Bucaramanga, but they said “well, you have a wisdom tooth that is bothering you, so we are gonna take it out.” In the United States you have to get a consultation, or two, and then you have to get an appointment, but here, well in Bucaramanga, in fact a haircut, you walk in and you ask for it, and ya! So they said: “Elder Zuniga, go to the other side of the street, and there is a panderia (bread store). Eat breakfast and return, because we are going to give you anesthesia.” We did that, and they numbed him up with Novocaine to do this, so they hit him up with some Novocaine and I am waiting in the other room but I can see it. I am reading my scriptures or a Liahona or something like that, and he starts to scream. So I get up and I look, and she’s on her knees with these pliers, jerking back and forth and he’s just screaming his head off. I am just worried about him and praying for him, “Father, please save my companion!” and ya, she jerked it out (with wisdom teeth they have to break it from the jaw, and the tooth is 2/3 the size of your pinky, it’s huge!) So she pulled it out and she showed it to me…. Ya. She packed it in a little bit and ya. So we left and he rested the rest of the day, but ya… just count your blessings that you’re in the United States for that. That was so horrible. He was crying and screaming, and she was just merciless on her knees on a stool…. But ya. Something that I can laugh about now, but at the time that was crazy. I am glad I got my wisdom teeth out. That’s Bucaramanga, It’s better here in Bogota, It’s more American kinda stuff here.
           
I sure love you guys. I think about you quite a bit. I only get trunky when  things aren’t going well, and they didn’t go very well this week, so I thought about you guys a bit, but not too much. I am so excited to talk to you guys in 9 days. The 10th of May is when I can talk to you guys, then on the Sunday before, I may be able to skype you guys for like 5 seconds and set up the skype call. I sure love you guys and I hope you have enjoyed these couple of minutes. Have a great week! Chao Chao!


-Elder Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment