Monday, January 22, 2018

Week 71: Prayers and President Nelson

Hey!

I’m sorry if this recording is harder to hear than normal, we went to another internet because the one that we usually go to is full. So there are kids playing video games here, they are playing music, and there is a really busy road outside. So we will see how this goes. Hope you can hear me!

This week has been pretty good. Last week was kinda hard, but this week the Lord blessed us with 11 new investigators and this Saturday we have a baptism planned. Completely set. Adali is going to get baptized this Saturday. Cool, no? the week before I leave. So I am pretty happy about that. This week I have really been learning the value of complete, total, 100% obedience. That has come from my companion who basically slapped me and said “hey look, there’s little things that I want to be 100% obedient, so will you help me do that?” and I felt a lot better about everything now that I am really trying to focus in on being 100% obedient on everything. I have just learned that if nothing else it helps you have the spirit completely with you. I had a cool experience on Tuesday when we had the meeting with the transmission of the new First Presidency. I got on my knees that morning to start my personal study, and before that we were planning to have a lesson with Adali that night, and we didn’t know what to do to help her to make the final decision to get baptized on Saturday. But as I kneeled and prayed, I asked Heavenly Father: “Father, please reveal to me what Adali needs so that I can help her.” And as I studied, I was studying a talk by Russell M. Nelson. And a prompting came to me really strongly. I felt the words. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I felt the words: “invite Adali to the transmission.” I just felt like my chest burned. So I turned around and told my companion that minute. “we need to do this.” And he was like: “ok. After this, we will go do that.”

So at 10:00, we went and invited them, and her son came to the door and said “OH! No we cant.” So we went away thinking: “what was that prompting for?” I thought my companion thought that maybe I was crazy. But nevertheless, we went to the transmission, I went and hooked it up in English for me and Elder Coop, just because it’s better hearing it in English, honestly. But as it ended, I went into the sacrament room, and there was Adali and Camilo. It really made a profound impact on them and after that it was easier to set the day. So it’s interesting that in the Doctrine and Covenants a lot of the times when He is talking to His servants in the Latter days, he says: “come unto me, and then IF YOU DESIRE, you will have my spirit.” It was one of those moments where I really did desire it. I have been trying to replicate it every day. Some days I have failed. But I know that every time we have a true desire, the Lord will answer us. In wonderful ways He will help us know the answer to our problems. In this case, it helped us to discern what was the need of Adali in that moment. It also tells you that we have the right to receive personal revelation and if we have responsibility for someone, for example the father over his family, the mother for her family, then they can receive revelation for that part that they are assigned. I really gained a testimony of that this week. 

Not to mention that during the transmission, I felt very strongly that Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of God. Even though I feel it, it’s wonderful to see the Lord, apart from my…. How do you say it… my failings, he is able to work through me to help other people. Now the trick is to try and replicate that as many times as possible. I have really been trying to focus in on trying to make my study really good. I have noticed how much of a difference it makes. I hope you all are reading the Book of Mormon every day. I know it would have changed my life before the mission, and then here in the mission it has changed my life, the way I think about things, and the way my day goes. Also, our Mission President has put an emphasis with us… (sorry the kids are playing video games and being really loud)… he has put an emphasis on studying the words of a living prophet. I have really gained a testimony of studying General Conference talks. I don’t know, I don’t think I really have anything super interesting to share with you guys, but that was the highlight of my week.

Well, I think I will say goodbye now. I love you guys so much. I know the church is true. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. I know that Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of God. Love you guys. Talk to you later, Chao Chao!


-Elder Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment