Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Week 7: Colombia- beautiful, new, and humbling experiences.

Hola everyone! 

I am now in Bucaramanga. It is a sizeable city situated in the jungle of Colombia. It is hot, and humid most of the time, but right now it just rained, so it's a bit better! The city is kinda gross in some parts with garbage piled high in the streets, but other's are very beautiful! Our apartment is not the nicest, But, compared to some homes, it is a suite! However, there are also lots of nice places around here. All the shops and restaurants are tiny, but the food is SO good. We eat lunch with members almost every day, and man... It's good! Outside the city in a place called Monte Villa, kinda out in the jungle, There are some way nice homes, and we ate there a couple of times this week. The water is clean in Bogota and Bucaramanga, so I am still going strong!

-Metrolinea: the bus system exclusive to Bucaramanga, and the scariest, but also funnest experience of my life! Colombian drivers are crazy!  But it's never boring haha!
- I've done an insane amount of walking this week. Eventually my legs will not feel like theyre going to fall off... eventually.
-Colombian money is not worth anything. I pay about 7,500 pesos for some empanadas. 
- Spanish has been very humbling. I can speak half decently, but sometimes people would talk to me y yo no entendi nada! 
      
     Now all joking aside, I am very humbled and very grateful for this opportunity. Some people live in pretty dire straights, and some pretty mixed  up positions. But My testimony is this: That I know that Jesus Christ lives. That He call heal any wound, if we can find it in us to leave our vices, our addictions, and our pride, and come to Him with broken heart and contrite spirit. I don't mean to sound repetitive, but it is true. This is the Gospel of the one true Savior, and it really heals real wounds. His love is infinite. The Book of Mormon is another Testament of His divinity, This, combined with the bible, and modernday revelation, is a guide to our lives, a precious gift. Therein, lies healing. Please pray for me, my awesome companion Elder Zuñiga, and the wonderful people of Colombia. 

Sin chistes, tengo mucho humilde y estoy muy agradecido por este oportunidad. Alguien están muy pobre, y son confuzado, algo veces. Perro este es me testimonio: Yo se que Jesucristo vive. Que Su iglesia, si, su palabra y evangelio fue restaurado. El Libro De Mormon es su palabra, y tiene la plenitud de su evangelio. Este, con la biblia junto, y revelación personal, es un guía por nuestras vidas. Un don muy precioso.

Elder J. Lewis


Elder Lewis and Maestro Ordonez at the CCM in Mexico, Maestro Ordonez is, according to Jared, a very wise and funny teacher. 

A parrot in Bucaramonga that Elder Lewis says "speaks better Spanish than I do!" 

From his letter to Mom: 
Hola Madre! Como le va? You should send me pictures of everyones costumes!  Calle 7, 14-10 Floridablanca Bucaramanga Santander, Colombia is my address. I asked my Comp and he said that things shouldn't take terribly long to get here. So you talked with Pres. Laney? Isn't he great? Imagine the nicest person on the earth, and then make him twice as nice and 5 times as wise and that person is President Laney. Hermana Laney is so funny too! Her brownies are TO DIE for. 
         I have SO much to tell you! First off, I am safe and sound. The city is such a crazy new experience! I'm understanding about 25 percent of what I hear, and the Latins say I speak like I've been here for months! But it still kinda stinks to sit in a family's living room and everyone's laughing because of something I couldn't understand. Irronically, however, I am learning to be happy! I am learning much spanish and how to laugh at myself a bit! I'm finding that I have to make a conscious effort to be happy, and it is wonderful!...
 I just want you and Dad to know how much I love and appreciate everything you've worked to hard to give and teach me. Here in Colombia, morals are a pretty huge problem. I've seen incredibly sad things due to people not having been taught to have integrity or morals really. However, that makes our message so very sweet. The Savior is all powerful, and this message of His can heal any wound. His grace is sufficent. I love you all very much and am grateful for what I have. I am very humbled and hope to remain that way, because of the miracles I've seen. Gracias, eternalmente.


From his letter to me: 
Bucaramanga is amazing! Ive gained a very new perspective, including new empathy for Conrad. I really like fried plantanes now, and I'm in a city, but the surrounding areas I've been to are JUNGLE. Our apartment is a DUMP. But compared to some of the houses I've taught in, it's the nicest mansion in the world. I'll attach a few images and things, but it sufficeth me to say, that I've seen wealth in some parts and absolute poverty in others. These people have nothing. It makes my heart hurt. But, I love them, and this message and these people in the Bucarica ward are amazing, and can help them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment